Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

youth camp & passion

The Lord has blessed Chris & I with a desire to serve Him. I'm thankful everyday for that desire.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not always THRILLED about this desire.

I'm not always jumping up & down asking "God, what can I do for you today!"

Some days...more than I'd like to admit...I drag my feet and moan Why me? Couldn't somebody else do this? And the answer to that, yeah, they could, but God asked ME. Little ol' me. What an honor & privilege to serve my Father.

In our church we are on the youth team with another couple. My husband has a wonderful way with kids....of all ages. I enjoy them & they make me feel younger than I am, well, most of the time.

Last week we went to Youth Camp with 13 kids ages 11 to 16. The camp was here . It's the second time we've been to that particular camp which is lead by these guys. & let me tell you, God has His hands on that ministry, that place & those people. I know it was supposed to be about the kids....but I learned SOOO much! The whole week was on Apologetics & Defending your faith. The theme was

& the theme verse was Colossians 2:6-7

As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7 rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it[a] with thanksgiving.

We talked & heard all week about what it means to be ROOTED in the Lord & how important it is for us. I saw kids give their lives to Christ & others announce their call to serve Him. I know my own heart was touched profoundly as I saw these kids that I have seen grow up & prayed for fall on their knees before their King.

In the weeks leading up to camp I must admit that I was kinda feeling sorry for myself. I was having to leave MY kids & my husband was having to take a week of HIS vacation for this trip. We had to TRAVEL 8 hours away from home & sleep in BARRACKS & eat cafeteria food (which was really good!) Oh, woe is me. blah blah blah...

But in the end, I stand in awe of what last week did for me.

I got to see my husband outside of his every day role as provider for our family. We ate 3 meals a day together for 6 straight days....I cannot tell you the last time that happened! We were not simply passing our kids around or cleaning the house or balancing the life that we have together. For one week we got to leave it all behind.

I got to spend countless hours with some of the funniest, most caring kids you'll ever meet. I talked to the girls about college & boys & we played spoons till lights out.

I got to sit on the beach & soak up the sun without being worried that anyone was eating sand.

I got to spend time learning about my Heavenly Father & learn how better to serve Him.

When we came back on Saturday, the parents & kids were very appreciative & I all I could say was....it was my pleasure. Because that's exactly how I feel. I had the absolute pleasure of taking a break (one that God knew I needed).

I'm so thankful that He knows better than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment