Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Life Changing Reads

So I started a new book this week....actually I read Nicholas Sparks' The Last Song on Monday (a great book but of course you'll need your tissues!) But that's not the book I want to tell you about.
Yesterday I began reading Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa TerKeurst, which within the first chapter became one of my all time favs! I've been getting daily devotionals delivered to my inbox from http://www.proverbs31.org/ for a while now and found out about the book there and am happy to say it is changing my life. I love a good LIFE CHANGING read!
I long to be closer to the Lord in every aspect of my life and for years I've been doing the "right" things. I go to church, attend all the ladies events, have my kids at every kid thing there is, my husband and I help with the youth group, teach Sunday school, participate with the young adults...to say the least, we're active. And we love it (when we don't feel overwhelmed!) And it has for sure brought me closer to God if not simply because I'm in His house a LOT! I absolutely LOVE being with God's people too.

There have been times in recent years though, when even though I spent more time at church that week than at my house, that I felt further from God than ever before. And I've found myself wondering....what's wrong with me? I'm doing all the right things, yet I'm missing out on all the JOY! How is that?

Last fall, after Luci was born and I was home from work for awhile, I began a Bible study with a friend of mine that changed my life (the first of the LIFE CHANGING books!) We read A Woman's High Calling by Elizabeth George and I began to really dig into what the Bible tells us about being a Godly woman. This fall I received another Elizabeth George book, A Woman After God's Own Heart and began to learn even more about my roll as wife, mother, and just woman seeking to love the Lord with all her soul. Again, LIFE CHANGING!
Although I was a bit leary to stray from my E. George kick, I couldn't wait to begin Lysa's book. I've just barely gotten into it (it's been 2 days) but today I read something that made me catch my breath, Lysa writes...
"Maybe this is the true secret to being fulfilled & content. Living in the moment with God, defined by His truth & with no unrealistic expectations for others or things to fill me up. Not reaching back for what was lost in my yesterdays. And not reaching for what I hope will be in my tomorrow. But living fully with what is right in front of me. And truly seeing the gift of this moment." (Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl )

That paragraph really spoke to me. Too many times in my life, even now, especially now, I look to others, my husband, my kids, my students, my friends, my parents, my siblings, my boss, my colleagues, my job in general; for fulfillment. And every single time I'm disappointed. Maybe not at first, but eventually. What an awesome feeling to be completely CONTENT in God. With His provision and in His time. WOW. I long for that.

1 comment:

  1. I love to read too and am always looking for a new book. Thanks for the great ideas! And as long as I have known you, I have always thought of you as a wonderful Christian who lets her light shine:)

    ReplyDelete