Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chicken Pockets--A Recipe

Small disclaimer first: These pictures aren't going to *wow your socks off*, I am NO photographer. Also, I'm no Paula Deen, anything I make is less than fancy but it is edible. When I first got married I was a TERRIBLE cook....being in the trenches for 6 years has taught me a thing or two!
I'm still nothing fancy, but we eat out a lot less now and we're not starving! :)
Keep in mind that I'm a working momma of two, with a husband with sometimes CRAZY hours...if it's the least bit complicated...it ain't happenin!
So here's my shot at sharing the knowledge I've gained over the last 6 years. ENJOY!

Chicken Pockets

(a la my church cookbook)


Start with these simple ingredients....
  • 1lb or so of chicken boiled & shredded (I usually add paprika or something to the water when I boil it to give it a bit more flavor--or so I tell myself)
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can chicken broth (I used a little less than 1/2 the carton)
  • 1 can Crescent Rolls (My kids love crescent rolls...I swear I could wrap anything in them and they'd eat it!)
  • Shredded cheese (totally not in the picture, refer back to my disclaimer)

After boiling & shredding the chicken,
(sometimes I leave in the crockpot covered in broth all day on low so it's ready when I get home, I HATE waiting on chicken to boil, not sure why....but I have NO patience for it!)
spread out the crescent rolls in a 9x13 pan and put a little (or a lot) of chicken in the middle of each and roll them up. (My kids LOVE to help with this step!)


Combine the cream of chicken soup & the broth in a bowl, stir until well combined & creamy.
(I do less broth than soup if I'm using a carton because I want it to be creamier.
Takes more cooking time the thinner it is.)

Pour the soup/broth mixture over the crescents & then cover with cheese
(I've learned that everything is better with cheese & hey! it's 2% so why not?!)
Cover with foil & bake @ 350 for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove foil & continue baking for about 10 minutes or until brown.
(My oven is CRAZY so I apologize if these times are off.)

Crescents should look like this(-ish) when removed from the oven.



Voila!

(This is my husband's plate with the GInormous portion of peas, & my poor picture taking! Peas are about the only green vegetable he'll eat, even though I don't even really consider them a veggie--weirdo!)

Enjoy!

Recap: Chicken Pockets
Ingredients--1 lb (-ish) chicken, boiled & shredded; 1 can cream of chicken soup; 1 can (or a bit less than 1/2 a carton) chicken broth; shredded cheese

1. Set oven @ 350.
2. Lay out crescent rolls & fill with shredded pre-cooked chicken in 9x13 pan.
3. Mix broth & soup & stir until creamy.
4. Pour soup mix over crescents.
5. Cover pan with foil & bake for 30 minutes.
6. Uncover & bake until brown (about 10 minutes)
7. Enjoy!

Thanks for playing along! Let me know if you like this and I'll drag out some more recipes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment